Monday, December 19, 2011

Reclaiming Lily by Patti Lacy

Buy At Amazon
"A storm the size of Texas brews when Gloria Powell and Kai Chang meet in a Ft. Worth hotel. They have come to discuss the future of Lily, the daughter Gloria adopted from China and the sister Kai hopes to reclaim. Kai is a doctor who had to give up her little sister during the Cultural Revolution and has since discovered that an inherited genetic defect may be waiting to fatally strike Lily.

Gloria's relationship with her daughter is tattered and strained, and the arrival of Kai, despite the woman's apparent good intentions, makes Gloria fearful. Gloria longs to restore her relationship with Lily, but in the wake of this potentially devastating diagnosis, is Kai an answer to prayer--or will her arrival force Gloria to sacrifice more than she ever imagined?"

This was such a beautifully written book. Reclaiming Lily is my first exposure to Patti Lacy's work and I would enjoy trying her again!

When I saw this book dealt with an orphan, I knew I that I had to read it. However, the orphan is a teenager and her story mostly deals with teen rebellion. It was wonderful to see the growing friendship of the other two characters, Gloria and Kai. Andrew, Gloria's husband, added a nice element to the book. It was lovely to see his and Gloria's relationship as husband and wife- he was very supportive and understanding. All the characters were portrayed in a real way and I enjoyed sharing in their pains and joys.

The plot was full of twists and turns that I did not see coming. Even the ending held somewhat of a surprise. I loved the way Patti weaved the characters' faith into the story and how their faith played a crucial part in the book. I also enjoyed the China flashbacks of Kai. Besides one unnecessary part, the book is a clean, Christ-centered read.

I highly recommend this book for those who enjoy an emotionally touching story. It can be bought at Amazon.com, and so on. If anyone is inspired to read this book because of this review, let me know. I would enjoy sharing in your reading experience:-)

**Note Thanks to Bethany House Publishers for my copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment