Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review of "Accused" by Janice Cantore

Buy At Amazon
"'Time to prove she isn’t a broken cop.'
An officer-involved shooting six months earlier takes Detective Carly Edwards off the street and sends her to a boring desk job in juvenile. When a troubled youth is arrested for the murder of the mayor, Carly is summoned to the crime scene. Homicide thinks it’s a quick, open-and-shut case, and Carly hopes this will be her ticket back to patrol.

Though her professional life seems to be on track, Carly still has unresolved issues in her personal life. Nick, her ex-husband and fellow police officer, is determined to show Carly that he’s a changed man, but she isn’t convinced he won’t betray her again.

As the murder investigation progresses, Carly suspects a cover-up and strikes out on her own, uncertain whom she can trust. But she soon realizes the case may put her directly in the killers’ crosshairs."


Accused was one wild ride. A ride I completely enjoyed. Janice's writing style is hip and modern and she is obviously learned on her subject. This was one of those books that is not only entertaining but also enlightening. I enjoyed the generous sprinkling of "cop" facts littered throughout the book. For example, 5150 means crazy in cop language.

The romance was believable and sweet, although I definitely must read the next installment in this series since I need to "see to the end" the blossoming relationship between Carly and her ex-husband Nick. By the end of the story, they're still not completely comfortable in each others presence- much less ready to re-marry... at least not yet.

Faith was woven seamlessly into the story and I enjoyed the spiritual elements immensely. In contrast to some reviewers' claims that the story was preachy, I felt refreshed that Jesus was a prevalent part of the story. The only drawback to this book was that Carly's best friend was somewhat scandalous.

And I can't forget the suspense! Edge-of-your-seat suspense. Although I was not surprised by who the killer was, I enjoyed every step (and the twists!) in this wild ride that Janice skillfully created. And the ending was heart-pounding! I am eagerly awaiting Janice's next release Abducted (click HERE to read my review of Abducted). But in the mean time, I suggest that you grab yourself a copy of Accused. Trust me, you'll be screaming for more. This book can be bought at Amazon.

**Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment