Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Book Review: Need You Now by Beth Wiseman

Buy At Amazon
"When big-city life threatens the safety of one of their children, Brad and Darlene Henderson move with their three teenagers from Houston to the tiny town of Round Top, Texas.

Adjusting to small-town life is difficult for the kids, especially fifteen-year-old Grace who is coping in a dangerous way.

Married life hasn't always been bliss, but their strong faith has carried Brad and Darlene through the difficult times. When Darlene takes a job outside the home for the first time in their marriage, the domestic tension rises.

While working with special needs children at her new job, the widowed father of one of the students starts paying more attention to Darlene than is appropriate. Problem is, she feels like someone is listening to her for the first time in a long time.

If Darlene ever needed God . . . it's now."

Need You Now is a beautiful yet somewhat heartbreaking story. Beth writes with such emotion! My heart was pained to see the turmoil Darlene and Grace were going through.

Beth created characters that I quickly grew attached to. Personally, it was rather hard to relate to them because of their circumstances, but I'm sure that many people can benefit from reading about their hardships. I especially enjoyed the character Layla. Her spiritual journey was satisfying and Beth threw an unanticipated twist to the story that left my heart heavy.

The plot galloped along at a steady pace. The storyline continually enticed me to read "just one more page." This story was slightly different than the ones I usually read in the sense that Darlene was already married and had a family- but I enjoyed the change greatly. I especially enjoyed seeing Brad and Darlene's marriage.

One thing in particular irritated me and that was Darlene and Brad's spiritual and parental life. They did not discipline their children at all and were not actively involved in their children's lives. So much so that in one scene Brad finds something questionable in Grace's room and she replies with "why were you in my room (not sure if I'm quoting exactly)?" I must say, however, that Darlene does seem to have a closer relationship with Jesus towards the end of the book. Also, some of the scenes with Grace were somewhat creepy.

Need You Now was an emotional roller-coaster and a page turner. Despite the "irritating" things mentioned above, I would still recommend this book for it is highly interesting and a wonderful change from the usual genres available in the Christian market. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. It can be bought at Amazon.

** Much thanks to the B&B Media for supplying a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great author.....and sounds like a great book!
    Blessings....Joy
    ibjoy1953[at]yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete