Sunday, June 24, 2012

Book Review: Replication by Jill Williamson

Buy At Amazon
When Your Life Is Not Your Own


Martyr---otherwise known as Jason 3:3---is one of hundreds of clones kept in a remote facility called Jason Farms. Told that he has been created to save humanity, Martyr has just one wish before he is scheduled to “expire” in less than a month. To see the sky.
Abby Goyer may have just moved to Alaska, but she has a feeling something strange is going on at the farm where her father works. But even this smart, confident girl could never have imagined what lies beneath a simple barn. Or what would happen when a mysterious boy shows up at her door, asking about the stars.
As the reality of the Jason Experiment comes to light, Martyr is caught between two futures---the one for which he was produced and the one Abby believes God created him to have. Time is running out, and Martyr must decide if a life with Abby is worth leaving everything he’s ever known.
Replication was a perfect story full of adventure, mystery, and love. This was my first venture into the Young Adult genre and has proven to not be my last. I enjoyed that Jill wasted no time in lengthy descriptions but got right into the action. Yet, she gave me enough details so that I could sufficiently visualize the setting.

The foundation of the story was nothing if not unique. I definitely stepped out of my comfort zone with this book that dealt with human cloning. But I enjoyed the change immensely. The interesting dialogue, endearing characters, and the afore mentioned action combined to make a heart-thumping, sigh-worthy read.

Abby was my favorite character. Her feistiness, "nerdiness," and godliness made me bond with her almost immediately. Her defense of Biblical principals (such as pro-life issues) and doing what was right were admirable- and her bravery was surely worthy of emulating.

Martyr was an interesting character. Because he had lived in an underground facility all his life, his take on the outside world was often humorous. It was difficult to bond with Martyr because of the unusual circumstances surrounding his "creation" (the way he was created). For this reason, the romance felt somewhat awkward, as well. I wouldn't have been upset at all if Jill had chosen JD to be Abby's future husband (I felt a little sad for him [those who've read the book would understand]).

However, the things mentioned above did not take the perfectness from the book. Besides the romance, I would not change a single thing. If you're looking for a drastic change in your reading and a book with a perfectly balanced amount of action, dialogue, and romance- with a Young Adult flair- then look no further then Replication. The perfect book for the perfect change you're looking for in your reading. I heartily give this book 5 stars. It can be bought at Amazon.

** Thanks to the author for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, which I have given.

No comments:

Post a Comment