Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Review: Swipe by Evan Angler

Buy At Amazon
"Everyone gets the Mark. It gives all the benefits of citizenship. Yet it getting the Mark is such a good thing, why does it feel so wrong?

Set in a future North America that is struggling to recover after famine and global war, Swipe follows the lives of three kids caught in the middle of a conflict they didn’t even know existed. United under a charismatic leader, every citizen of the American Union is required to get the Mark on their 13th birthday in order to gain the benefits of citizenship.


The Mark is a tattoo that must be swiped by special scanners for everything from employment to transportation to shopping. It’s almost Logan Langly’s 13th birthday and he knows he should be excited about getting the Mark, but he hasn’t been able to shake the feeling he’s being watched. Not since his sister went to get her Mark five years ago…and never came back.


When Logan and his friends discover the truth behind the Mark, will they ever be able to go back to being normal teenagers?"


As I mentioned in my last review, Replication by Jill Williamson was not my last venture into the Young Adult genre. I've dipped my toe deeper into this genre with my latest read: Swipe by Evan Angler- and this book has further convinced me that the YA genre is the perfect variation from my usual reads.

Swipe captured my attention with the first page and kept me in its grasp until its closing. With a bucket-load of mystery, and suspense, Swipe had me on a wild ride. The fact that it was set during the tribulation in "future America" intrigued me even more. I enjoyed reading about Evan's view on "future America" and the Mark System.

The only drawback to this book was that it had no spiritual element in it- not even the mention of God. However, I think the author left out a spiritual element because of the time period this book is set in and I'm fairly confident that the characters will be introduced to Jesus in later book... at least, I hope so. Frankly, I noticed this "omission" after I finished reading the book. I was so engrossed in the story that it didn't occur to me until I'd finished the last page (and in the back of my mind I'd assumed that a spiritual element would be introduced sometime later in the story).

With lots of suspense- and even a touch of romance- Swipe has proven to be another satisfying read. If you're looking for a wild ride, with a surprising jolt at the end- and a YA flair, of course- then I'd recommend you try Swipe by Evan Angler. I give it 5 stars! And if you start feeling as if your being watched at night, don't say I didn't warn you;) It can be bought at Amazon.

** Thanks to Jill Williamson through Team Novel Team who provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, which I have given.

3 comments:

  1. Great review. This is an exciting book. I think there will be a spiritual element to it late because I feel it was hinted to once in a while. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lack of the spiritual element in Swipe helps contribute to our perception of the world that Logan lives in. Since his world is devoid of the spiritual element, Logan's life and story are also lacking. I can't wait to see how the [presumed] introduction of the spiritual might potentially change the tone of the next book[s]!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I loved this book too!

    And I disagree about the lack of spiritual element. There were characters wearing cross necklaces, and the resistance was meeting in an underground church. I think there were enough hints that the Christian element is coming in the next book. If he had made it obvious in this one, I don't think it will be as powerful for Logan when he discovers it. My two cents there...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete