Saturday, June 2, 2012

Litfuse Blog Tour: My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade

Buy At Amazon
"Kate Donovan is burned out on work, worn down by her dating relationships, and in need of an adventure. When her grandmother asks her to accompany her to Redbud, Pennsylvania, to restore the grand old house she grew up in, Kate jumps at the chance.

Upon her arrival in Redbud, Kate meets Matt Jarreau, the man hired to renovate the house. Kate can't help being attracted to him, drawn by both his good looks and something else she can't quite put her finger on. He's clearly wounded--hiding from people, from God, and from his past. Yet Kate sets her stubborn heart on bringing him out of the dark and back into the light...whether he likes it or not. 

When the stilted, uncomfortable interactions between Kate and Matt slowly shift into something more, is God finally answering the longing of her heart? Or will Kate be required to give up more than she ever dreamed?"


My Stubborn Heart was a unique read. Becky Wade has done a wonderful job with her debut novel. To begin with, the characters each had depth/dimension and all felt very real. I really enjoyed that the main characters, Matt and Kate, were not the usual stereotype hero and heroine. Kate looked like an average girl and Matt was silent and brooding.

The story plot was interesting and had me wanting to continue flipping through the pages. The romance was unique as well. My favorite part of the plot was the drastic yet gradual change Matt underwent. Seeing him toss off all bitterness and pain and embrace the love of God and God's plan for his life was sigh-worthy.

The humor in the book was wonderful! Morty and Velma- practically all the seniors- were a hoot! Their subplot was very fun to read.

Another wonderful plus is that the book was especially Christ-centered. Kate talked with God frequently and He responded back... in His timing. I loved the spiritual message to leave our love-life in God's hands- to let Him write your love story. Despite, the very Christ-centered message in the book there were a few things I disagreed with. Some questionable and unnecessary words were used, gambling held a major part in the story-line, and the characters celebrated halloween.

In spite of the few things I disagreed with in the book, I would still recommend it to someone who is looking for a unique romance with quirky characters and a strong spiritual message. I give My Stubborn Heart a 4 out of 5 stars. It can be bought on Amazon.

** Thanks to Litfuse Publicity Group for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, which I have given.

1 comment: