Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Review: Somebody Like You by Beth Vogt

Buy At Amazon
"Can a young widow find love again with her husband’s reflection?

Haley’s three-year marriage to Sam, an army medic, ends tragically when he’s killed in Afghanistan. Her attempts to create a new life for herself are ambushed when she arrives home one evening—and finds her husband waiting for her. Did the military make an unimaginable mistake when they told her Sam was killed? 

Too late to make things right with his estranged twin brother, Stephen discovers Sam never told Haley about him. As Haley and Stephen navigate their fragile relation­ship, they are inexorably drawn to each other. How can they honor the memory of a man whose death brought them together—and whose ghost could drive them apart? 

Somebody Like You is a beautifully rendered, affecting novel, reminding us that while we can’t change the past, we have the choice to change the future and start anew"

The best word I can use to describe Somebody Like You is the word gentle. Each word, sentence, page pulled me along like someone tugging me gently by the hand. Cracking open the pages of this book––tagging along on Haley and Stephen's journey––was like snuggling with my favorite downy comforter: soft, warm, gentle. 

The characters were real. Their emotions real. And, surprisingly, their romance real. I'll admit my skepticism––because of the premise and my previous experience with Wish You Were Here. But the characters, the prose, the spiritual message––everything––was executed beautifully.

The pace was just right. Not too fast, not too slow. Haley and Stephen's love blossomed like a rose opening in slow motion. Bits of humor were interspersed at just the right moments. The ending was unexpected, charming, sweet. And to top it off? This book was released on the day of my birthday.

I give Somebody Like You 5 out of 5 stars. It can be bought on Amazon.

P.S. Stephen Ames has been officially entered as a contestant for the 2014 CBRB Best Hero Award!

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to win this book. Beth is a great author. Thanks for sharing.

    Congratulations Stephen Ames.

    Have a great day!
    joyfuljelatgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody Like You is a beautiful story, one that will stay with you! Don't enter me as I already had the hard copy and the e-version. :-)

    ReplyDelete